Things You Will Need
- Rat Traps
- A Cat or a Dog
You have just moved into a new apartment with your friends. In the middle of the night you hear "scratch-scratch" and "scampering".
In the morning you find little brown pellets in the corner of your kitchen. You have rats or mice in your apartment.
Read this article for tips on how to rid your apartment of rodents.
- The Glue Traps. First, you must put down at least 6 glue traps in the kitchen, bathrooms and any other suspicious room. Glue traps are just a square sheet of plastic covered with glue. If you place a piece of cheese in the middle of the trap, supposedly the rats will get "glued" to the trap while trying to eat the cheese. Place glue traps under counters, under sinks and under anything else you can think of. You need to place the glue traps underneath something to prevent humans from stepping on the traps. [This just creates a big mess].
- The Snap-Traps. I may be imagining things, but over the years Rats and Mice seem to have become more resistant to traps. Combat this resistance by also placing the old-fashioned "snap-traps" around your house. These traps have a pulley system so when the rat or mouse reaches for the cheese you put on the trap, the trap will snap and trap the rat or mouse.
- The Holes. Look for holes on the inside and outside of your house. Rats and Mice can crawl into amazingly small spaces. You especially need to check for holes in any areas with potential water damage. Look under drain pipes outside the house, and under sinks, showers, dishwashers, or other devices that use water in your house. For a temporary solution, seal any hole shut with tape. This will prevent the rats and mice from accessing your house in the first place. Frequently rats and mice live in the walls so hopefully you will not trap the mice in the walls when you seal the holes.
- 1. The Dishwasher. Somehow rats and mice seem to make their way into the dishwasher. Do not leave dirty dishes in the dishwasher overnight. Dirty dishes will attract mice. Instead, run the dishwasher every night to keep the mice and rats away.
- The Garbage. Put a solid lid on the garbage can in the kitchen. Make sure that nothing but a human could open the lid.
- Food. Restrict eating to only certain parts of the house. For example, you could restrict eating to the kitchen and the dining room or the kitchen and the TV room. Be sure to clean the rooms you eat in frequently and thoroughly. Throw all food scraps away in one garbage can. Rats and mice are attracted to food so if you eat in every room you are attracting the rats and mice to every room. Do you really want rats in your bedroom?
- The Garage. The garage can be a great place for rats and mice to hang out. If your garage is attached to your house, be sure to keep the garage extra clean. If you do not allow your garage to become a junk-storage pile, the rats will have no place to hide. Rats and mice in the garage can be bad news for your car as well. Do you really want rats in your car chewing the wires? [This really can happen].
- The Windows. Rats can crawl through an open window very easily. Put screens on all the windows that you open. You don't really want a rat crawling through your open bedroom window in the middle of the night, do you?
- The Cats and Dogs. If you have a cat or a dog that keeps leaving you "presents" or dead animals at your door step, then use this animal to catch the rats or mice in your house. Better yet, borrow a neighbors pet as well. Put the pets in the house before dinner and let nature run its course. Before allowing your pets to do this, make sure your animals have all necessary shots. Also, do not send your de-clawed indoor cat into the house to catch the rats and mice.
- The Neighbors. Unfortunately, if you live in an apartment complex, you need your neighbor's apartment to be rat free to guarantee that your apartment will stay rat free. Give your neighbors this article and plead with them to get rid of their rodents as well.
Poison should only be used as a last resort. Poison also puts the people inside the house at risk. Rodents carry diseases, get rid of your rodents as soon as possible.