Things You Will Need
- wide floating putty knife
- small putty knife
- utility knife
- drywall compound
- Wallpaper brush
A great enhancement to the decor of any bathroom is wallpaper. Generally most people shy away from wallpapering their bathrooms just for the fact that in the past, wallpaper did not hold up well to the humidity in the bathroom and it was a mess to put up.
Well times have changed and so has wallpaper. What once was a hassle and a big mess is now easy and fast to install and best of all they make wallpaper for bathrooms specifically.
- Before you start you have two options in regards to how much you want to wallpaper your bathroom. Some people just put a border to enhance the look and feel of their bathrooms while some put wall paper as a replacement to painting the walls. I advise to figure out what you plan to do and how much wallpaper you need first as this makes a huge determination on how much money and paper you have to shell out. In addition it is wise to invest in fabric backed wallpaper especially for your bathroom as it usually is made for bathroom purposes.
- Depending if your wall is painted or currently has wall paper on it will determine how you prep the wall for installation of your new wallpaper. If you have painted walls, wipe the walls clean with a damp sponge and then apply a thin coat of drywall compound.
- If your walls have preexisting wallpaper please see my link at the bottom of this article on how to remove wallpaper. The reason for this is that when the compound dries it creates a smooth surface for you to apply the wallpaper on. If you just hung the wallpaper on the wall the wallpaper will have a tendency to peel off due to the natural porous nature of the wall.
- Once your wall is prepped and ready make sure you take measurements of the areas you want to hang your wallpaper and then cut pieces according to those measurements.
- Generally most wallpaper is pre-pasted meaning it just needs to be moistened with water to apply. Make sure you apply carefully and use the wallpaper brush to make big sweeping motions removing air bubbles with each stroke. When your job is complete allow adequate time for the paper to dry and the glue to set.