Things You Will Need
- Ladder or kitchen step ladder
- Tape measure
- Wine bottles
- Bowls, platters and trays
- Dried flowers
- Wine crates
- Wine decanter
- Clear vase
- Wine corks
- Plate stands
- Small white Christmas lights
The space above kitchen cabinets is a perfect spot to display collectibles or favorite antique items. Match the decor of your kitchen or house for a cohesive look.
It's not necessary to cover the entire area. Instead, leave space between objects so they stand out.
- Decide what you want to display. Consider collectibles, antiques or hobbies. Some ideas are favorite wine and liquor bottles, bowls and trays, baskets, dried flowers, wine crates, decanters or vases, and wine corks. Gather items from around the house that might be hiding in boxes or have little visibility.
- Use a ladder or a kitchen step ladder to measure the space on the top of the kitchen cabinets. Measure the width and length of the kitchen cabinets. Take note of ridges on the cabinet tops and determine the space from the top of the cabinets to the ceiling to ensure selected items fit. Notice if the cabinet tops are recessed, which hides the bottom of your items; if that's the case, extra height will be required for the pieces to be seen.
- Decide how to arrange the items you have chosen to display and where to put them. Place items on the kitchen counter to determine locations. This saves extra trips up and down on the ladder. Intermix items so all the bowls aren't next to each other or all the wine bottles don't appear in one section. Try grouping two or three wine bottles together in a section and evenly space out bowls, trays and platters.
- Place items on kitchen cabinet tops. Start at one end of the cabinets and position the largest items first. Place taller items toward the back of the cabinet tops to add depth. Use plate stands to positions trays, bowls and platters if they cannot lean against the wall. Put wine corks in a clear vase for display.
- Check if items can be seen by stepping down from the ladder from time to time. Look from various angles in the kitchen to see if you like the view. Move any items or add height so they can be seen.
- Place small white Christmas lights along the edge of the cabinets. This makes a dramatic statement in the evening.