Things You Will Need
- Coffee grinder
- Sweet, granular ant bait
White ants are particularly difficult to kill because conventional spray ant poisons will not even put a real dent in the colony population. They definitely will not kill the queen.
To get rid of white ants, you need to know what they like: sweets. Properly prepared sweet ant bait is the only way to get rid of a white ant infestation.
- Grind up the ant bait in a coffee grinder that is no longer used for coffee. White ants like small, easy-to-eat treats. Grinding up conventional granular bait makes it more appealing to the ant's sweet tooth. Of course, you should never put ant poison in a coffee grinder that is still being used for coffee.
- Look for the location of the ants. You may be able to see them entering or exiting a wall, for example. If you cannot find the nest, then you will need to treat your entire house.
- Drill a small hole into the base of any walls where you think the ants may have built a nest. This will let you place the bait as conveniently to the ants as possible.
- Spread the ant bait around your house. Make sure that it is near all entrances and windows, as well as in any holes that you drilled in the walls. Wear gloves to protect your hands.
- Place the bait outside your house. Spread the granular bait around the exterior of your house. This will prevent further ant entry and help control an infestation that is simply using your house as a food source rather than actually living with you.
If you have children or pets, hire a professional to get rid of your white ants using green pest control solutions or contained methods of killing.