Things You Will Need
- Small boxes
- Vacuum cleaner
- Damp rag
- Permanent marker
Most homes and apartments have a small coat closet near the front door. A lot of people use this closet for storage because it is handy and convenient.
Over time, more than just coats and accessories may accumulate. Here are some things that you can do to get it organized and stay on a budget.
- Empty the closet and begin with an empty space. Be sure to vacuum and then wipe down all of the surfaces with a damp rag.
- Sort through all of the items you pulled out. If they don't belong specifically in that closet, put them where they belong. If you no longer need it, get rid of it.
- Group all like items together. This will give you the ability to see exactly what you have, and see how much room you need.
- Find something to put small items in. Small boxes work great. These can be found at hardware stores and liquor stores for free. They are happy to give you the boxes they are no longer using. These boxes can hold many small items, and you can stack them on top of each other. Be sure to label each box with a permanent marker.
- Begin to put items back into the closet. Start with items that will be higher up, then work your way down. All of the large items should be on the bottom. Be sure everything has a place, this will make it more convenient and easier to keep clean.
- If you need extra space purchase a fabric hanging shelf unit. They are very inexpensive and are available at department stores.