Things You Will Need
- Eucalyptus leaves
- Lemon-scented dish detergent
- Heavy duty detergent
- Citronella essential oil
- 4-oz. spray bottle with lid
- Boric acid
Fleas are small, parasitic insects that thrive on the blood of warm-blooded animals. These insects will feed from household pets and humans alike.
They bite their hosts to feed and these bites are painful and can bleed. It is extremely important to get rid of these parasites before they take over your entire house.
There are several natural methods for ridding your home of these pesky insects.
- Place eucalyptus leaves under pet bedding and furniture. Eucalyptus has shown significant results in ridding homes of fleas and preventing them from invading.
- Wash all household pets with lemon scented dish detergent and warm water. This will kill the fleas and eggs on your pets. It may take a few applications to rid them of all fleas, but this method is effective.
- Wash all bedding, linens and clothing in hot water and heavy duty detergent. Hot water and detergent will kill the fleas in your fabrics.
- In a four-oz. bottle, mix one oz. of citronella essential oil to three oz. of hot water. Shake the bottle and spray the mixture on legs and arms as well as on upholstered furniture, draperies and carpeted surfaces.
- Sprinkle boric acid around doorway entries and around the perimeter of your home. This will deter any fleas from entering your home and will poison and kill them if they try to enter.