In nature, mold is beneficial as it aids in the breakdown of dead material and recycles nutrients in the environment. Mold grows in your home in areas where condensation collects, such as in bathrooms and around windows.
Excessive amounts of mold in your bathroom can be harmful to your health. Cleaning the areas affected by mold with bleach, ventilating your bathroom and removing affected building materials can help your family stay healthy when your bathroom shows signs of mold.
Hay fever is a common ailment caused by an allergic response to allergens such as pollen, mold, dust mites and pet dander. When there is too much mold in your bathroom, breathing mold spores can cause hay fever.
Symptoms include a runny nose, congestion, sneezing and sinus pressure, according to the Mayo Clinic. Severe hay fever can interfere with your sleep, enjoyment of activities and productivity at work or school.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the term "toxic mold" is inaccurate. Some molds are toxigenic, which means they can produce toxins, but the molds themselves are not poisonous.
The New York Department of Health asserts that serious infections from living molds are relatively rare and occur mainly in people with severely suppressed immune systems. Mold can be toxic if it's ingested rather than inhaled.
Young children are especially prone to poisoning since they tend to put everything in their mouths.
Mold exposure can cause skin irritation if you have sensitive skin. These skin rashes are typically comprised of tiny red bumps that are extremely itchy.
If you have sensitive skin, avoid touching areas in your bathroom that may harbor mold, such as shower curtain liners, shower stall tiles and window casings.