Things You Will Need
- Flat bladed screwdriver
- Phillips screwdriver
Door handles allow you to easily open and close a door. Some handles include a catch mechanism to help them keep shut and/or a lock to secure the door.
Removing an interior door handle is necessary when you're upgrading or replacing a handle. Although there are a number of different interior door handle styles available, they all have the same basic parts and are removed in the same basic fashion.
- Close the door that you want to remove the interior door handle on. This will make it easier to remove the handle. You need to be on the inside of the door when it closes. You should be able to see the hinges on the inside.
- Locate the door handle screws. There are usually two, one on each side of the handle. If you don't see them, they might be hidden by the handle plate. Insert the edge of a flat-bladed screwdriver underneath the plate that surrounds the handle and pry it off. Unscrew the screws with a long Phillips screwdriver.
- Pull the door handle out of the door.
- Open the door. Pull the front handle off the door.
- Remove the dead latch, if present. This is the catch that keeps the door closed. Swing the door so you're looking at the side. Unscrew the two screws on the dead-latch plate. Insert your fingers into the door handle opening and push the latch out from the inside.