Things You Will Need
- Plastic or paper bag
- Mild liquid soap
- 2 towels
Artificial flowers are available in an endless variety of colors, styles and textures. Artificial flowers mimic the look and feel of real flowers without the maintenance and temporary lifespan.
Whether your artificial flowers are silk or made from synthetic materials, dirt and dust can ruin their appearance over time. Delicate silk and artificial flowers require gentle cleaning methods to prevent damage.
Always clean your artificial flowers with the least invasive process first.
Salt Cleaning Method
- Run a duster over the silk and artificial flowers to remove any loose dirt and dust.
- Place the silk and artificial flowers into a plastic or paper bag. Pour in 1/2 cup of salt.
- Shake the bag gently for two to three minutes.
- Remove the silk and artificial flowers from the bag and shake off any salt.
- Replace the silk and artificial flowers.
Water Cleaning Method
- Fill a sink with cool water and mix in 1 tsp. mild liquid soap with your hand.
- Lay a dry towel near the sink to place the clean flowers on.
- Remove one flower at a time from the arrangement. Gently swish the flower in the soapy water.
- Set the wet flower on the towel. Lay another dry towel on top of the flower and gently press down to absorb any excess water.
- Replace the silk or artificial flower. Repeat the cleaning process one flower at a time until all of the flowers are clean.
Do not wash artificial flowers with hot water, as it can loosen the adhesive and cause the color to bleed.