Things You Will Need
- Plastic zip-close bag
- Hole punch
A plastic bag filled with water is an effective deterrent to flies in a home, barn or commercial location. The eye of a fly is composed of many smaller eyes.
The light refracted off the water molecules appears as thousands of bright and confusing lights to the fly. Placed above doorways and other openings, a plastic, water-filled bag is a safe and nontoxic method to prevent flies from entering an area.
- Open a plastic zip-close bag.
- Fill it half full with water.
- Seal the bag by pulling the zip closure across the top.
- Punch a hole in the plastic above the zip closure with a hole punch.
- Tie a string to the hole in the plastic bag. Suspend the bag with the string in doorways and other entry points to deter flies.
- Make additional bags and hang them in entry points where a fly might enter, as you see fit.