Things You Will Need
- Upholstery attachment
- Spray bottle
- Portable steam cleaner
Your mattress is one of the most used pieces of furniture in your home. Even if you are a person who does not get enough sleep, you are still likely to spend several hours every night lying down on your mattress.
If you do get enough sleep or if you take naps, your mattress gets even more use. During this time, your body odors, sweat and dead skin get on the mattress, which can cause quite a foul smell that you need to clean periodically.
- Remove all the bedding from your mattress and put it in the laundry room to wash later.
- Use the upholstery attachment on your vacuum to clean the surface of your mattress. Flip it over to clean both sides.
- Fill a spray bottle with vinegar and spray a fine mist over all sides of the mattress. The vinegar helps to absorb smells and its own odor disappears in minutes.
- Put a mixture of equal parts water and vinegar into a portable steam cleaner if you can still smell the odor. Using a small amount of liquid, run the portable steam cleaner over the surface of the mattress.
- Open all the windows in the room to let in as much natural light as possible. Sunshine helps dry and deodorize the mattress.
- Put clean bedding back on the mattress once it’s completely dry.