Things You Will Need
- Chalkboard erasers
- Vacuum cleaner
- Vacuum attachment
- Chalkboard cleaner
- Chalkboard cleaning cloth
- White vinegar
- Lemon oil
Through the school year, chalkboards can become difficult to read because of the buildup of chalk left behind. Although a chalkboard eraser wipes away most of the chalk, continued use of the board results in the need of a thorough cleaning for a clear surface.
Several cleaning methods will get a chalkboard cleaner.
- Clap the chalkboard erasers together outside everyday. This gets loose chalk free from the fibers of the eraser. When chalk residue remains in the fibers, you are rubbing chalk into the board instead of removing it.
- Use a vacuum cleaner attachment to vacuum chalk from the erasers.
- Purchase a chalkboard cleaner from your local school supply store. These cleaners are developed specifically for cleaning chalkboards. They dissolve dust and chalk residue so the board is easier to read. Some brands offer scented cleaners, such as mint, so your classroom is left with a pleasant scent instead of a chemical smell.
- Obtain a chalkboard-cleaning cloth from your school supply store. These cloths are ideal if you prefer not to use liquids or sprays on your chalkboard. The cloths are chemically treated so they efficiently remove the chalk dust.
- Mix one part white vinegar with three parts water, and add a bit of lemon oil to the solution for a pleasant scent.
- Apply the cleaning solution to the chalkboard with a clean cloth. Rinse the cloth as necessary.
- Allow the surface to dry completely before you write on the board.