Wood Mold Treatment

Mold forms on wooden surfaces when humidity is high and ventilation is poor. When mold is detected in a home, all spores must be removed from the wooden surfaces completely to avoid health problems.

Treating Framing Wood

Mold can grow on wooden surfaces.

If a wooden frame is inside, a barrier needs to be set up to eliminate spreading spores; if the frame is an outside frame, a barrier is not necessary. If the wooden surfaces containing mold are smooth, they can usually be wiped down first, then pressure-washed to remove all traces of mold.

Treating Difficult Wooden Areas

Hard-to-reach wood can be power-washed.

To treat difficult-to-reach areas of wood, where wiping would be too difficult, such as eaves or roofs, power-washing with baking soda will work very well. If a roof is to be power-washed, however, it is important to make sure no contaminated water runoff can get into the roof insulation.

Precautions When Treating Mold

Filter masks should be used when treating mold.

Because mold can cause health woes for people, precautions need to be taken when cleaning and treating mold-infested surfaces. Filter masks, goggles and gloves should always be worn to prevent contamination.


Once wooden surfaces are treated for mold and completely dry, a sealant can be applied to prevent further mold growth. Because mold thrives in damp, humid conditions, using a dehumidifier will also help to stop mold from forming on wooden surfaces.


If necessary, an air quality test can be performed to detect the level of mold spores in a particular area, such as a basement or attic, where wooden surfaces have come in contact with moisture.

Continue Reading