- There are three ways you can kill mold and [mildew](https://homesteady.com/facts-5073620-mildew.html) naturally. Tea tree oil can be expensive, but it is an effective fungicide that kills all the mold families it contacts. It has a strong smell, but it will dissipate in a few days. To make the tea tree treatment mix 2 tsp. tea tree oil in 2 cups of water. Put the mixture into a spray bottle and shake to mix the ingredients. Spray problem areas. Another Eco friendly way to treat mold is with grapefruit seed extract, which is odorless and mixes the same way as the tea tree spray. Mix 20 drops grapefruit seed extract and 2 cups water. Put the liquid in spray bottle, and shake to mix and spray on problem areas. Vinegar is also a natural way of killing mold and mildew, although it smells it only lasts a few hours. White distilled vinegar kills 82 percent of mold, so just adding straight vinegar into a bottle and spray directly on the problem area without rinsing will quickly kill the mold.
- Use household products to also kill mold and mildew. If the problem is a large one, mix 1/2 cup of bleach to one gallon of water. Using rubber gloves, treat the area with the bleach mixture without rinsing. If you are sensitive to bleach fumes, use a mask and leave the room or house while the bleach kills the mold. Usually it takes about 30 minutes for the treatment to kill the mold. It is suggested that you speed dry the area to prevent residual spores being left behind. To speed dry materials, close windows and run the air conditioner or heat, or running a dehumidifier or fans.
- If your mold issue is a large one and is affecting inside your walls or carpet or even your floors it is suggested you hire a mold specialist or a contractor, because you may have to remove part of your wall or floor to remove the mold from your house entirely. Large mold problems can be a major health risk to you and your family, and must be dealt with because some molds can be toxic and even deadly if not treated. So if your carpet is showing signs of mold or mildew you may want to remove the carpet completely from your home if other treatments do not work. A mold specialist can inspect your home to let you know the extent of the mold problem.
Things You Will Need
- 2 tsp. tea tree oil
- 20 drops grapefruit extract
- 4 cups water
- White distilled vinegar
- 3 spray bottles
- 1/2 cup bleach per 1 gallon of water
- Mold remover specialist
- Mold remover products
- Rubber gloves
- To help prevent mold be sure to turn on your fan while taking a shower. If you don't have a bathroom fan and if you live in a high humidity area be sure to wipe down everything after your bath or shower. Fix leaks in pipes or roofs. Be sure to wipe up liquid spills and moisture. When treating mold with bleach or any harsh household cleaners, use protective gloves.