- Scrape off excess tar with a butter knife.
- Turn the stain face down onto several layers of paper towels. Blot the stain from the back with a dry cleaning solvent and a clean cloth.
- Launder the garment using the hottest water it can stand. Check your garment's care tag if you are unsure.
- Allow the garment to air dry. If faint traces of tar stain remain, try soaking the garment in a solution of bleach and water.
Things You Will Need
- Butter knife
- Clean cloths
- Dry cleaning solvent
- Light tar stains may only necessitate a pretreatment with a heavy-duty laundry detergent before washing.