A neon sign is a fancy and fun way to attract business or light a room with style and flair. You can have the most elaborate sign in the world, but without a power source, it won't turn on. Luckily, installing a neon sign power source or supply is both easy and quick with a few simple steps.
Things You Will Need
- Standard flat-head screwdriver
- Screws (usually included with power supply)
Place the power supply on a table with your neon sign face down on the table next to it. The neon sign may have a backing or housing and the wires to the power supply must be fed through it. If the sign is simply free-floating neon tubes without a housing, it will actually be easier to install the power, because you won't have to worry about feeding any cords through the housing.
Place the power supply onto the back of the neon sign in its determined area (if there is a backing; if there is no backing, go to step 5). Line up the screw holes on the power supply with the screw holes on the sign's backing.
Screw the power supply onto the housing with the given screws. Make sure it is snug.
Feed the two individual wires coming out of the right side of the power supply through the open holes on the back of the sign's housing. Once you have them through, turn the sign over—you should see the two wires coming out of two individual holes on the front of the sign.
Unscrew the rubber caps from the end of the neon tubes. This will expose the neon tubes' wiring. Hold the exposed wiring from the neon tubes directly next to the exposed wiring from the cords coming out of the power supply. Hold the two wires together firmly.
Twist the two exposed wire tips around each other. Make sure that they twist around each other about five times, and then bend the wire splice in half to keep the wires from pulling apart.
Slide the rubber caps that you took off of the neon tubes in step 5, back onto and over the new wire splice. This will hold the wires together, as well as protect them from the elements, and also keep you from possibly being shocked.
Plug in the power supply's electrical cord into an outlet. This will turn the sign on.
Be careful when working with anything electrical, because you can receive a shock. Always make sure the sign is disengaged from any possible electrical outlet before starting this process. Be sure to be safe first and foremost.