How to Apply Waterproof Exterior Stucco
Waterproof exterior stucco is a solid investment for homeowners concerned with exterior spaces that are susceptible to water damage. With a premixed stucco, you can easily apply a even coat to enliven your exterior space and protect your home. Properly prepare the walls and apply the stucco for a perfect finish and wise investment. Finish the project with a coating of waterproof stucco sealer for a well-protected surface.
- Clean off any dirt or debris from the exterior surface with a wire brush.
- Apply a coat of bonding liquid to the exterior surface, using a standard paintbrush.
- Grab and hold the hawk in your non-dominant hand, then scoop the premixed stucco onto the hawk with the trowel.
- Trowel the stucco onto the exterior surface once the bonding liquid becomes slightly tacky. Aim for an even stucco coat of 1/2 inch. Broad strokes with the trowel will provide a smoother-looking surface, while shorter strokes will give a more textured impression.
- Wet the rubber float and sweep it across the stucco surface to smooth and even it out. Allow the stucco to dry overnight.
- Apply a mist of water to the stucco once a day for an entire week to enable a slow and steady curing. Wait a week for the stucco to completely cure.
- Brush on a thin layer of the waterproof stucco sealer with a paintbrush. Cover the entire surface. The sealer will ensure that water will no longer penetrate your stucco.