How to Hang an Indoor Hanging Chair
An indoor hanging chair provides place to sit, relax and enjoy a book. You may like the idea of a hanging chair, but you might not know how to install it. Safely hanging a chair from the ceiling is not as hard as it looks. You can install a hanging chair with a few basic tools. Much of the hardware for the job comes with the chair.
- Climb the stepladder and use a stud finder to locate a ceiling joist. As a general rule, ceiling joists are spaced 16 inches on center. Follow the instructions provided with your stud finder. Select a spot along the ceiling joist to install the chair.
- Mark the selected spot on the ceiling with a pencil. This is where you will install the eye hook that came with your chair.
- Drill a 4- to 5-inch-deep hole at the pencil mark perpendicular to the ceiling, using a 1/4-inch drill bit. This is the pilot hole for the eye hook.
- Screw the eye hook into the pilot hole. Continue to screw the eye hook into the joist until all of the threading is into the ceiling.
- Attach the chain or rope-hanging mechanism on the chair to the eye hook as specified in the chair directions. Each model of hanging chair is different, and directions will vary.
Things You Will Need
- Stud finder
- 1/4-inch drill bit
- Complete the final turns of the eye hook by sliding a screwdriver through the eye and turning it with the handle. This will provide more leverage at the final turns when it becomes difficult to do by hand.
- Wear eye protection when operating power tools and working over your head.