- Find the source of the leak. Roof leaks often result from holes, deterioration and rust patches.
- Scrub the affected area of the roof with a wire brush, to remove rust (if any) and dirt. Remove loose nails and re-nail them with a hammer.
- Spread urethane roof cement smoothly over the damaged area with a putty knife. Urethane roof cement also protects metal roofs against ultraviolet rays.
- Spread the urethane roofing cement over the seams and edges along the flashing with the putty knife. Since leaks often occur along the flashing, sealing is necessary.
Things You Will Need
- Wire brush
- Urethane roof cement
- Putty knife
- Substitute the urethane roof cement for self-stick waterproof flashing membrane.