- Cover the floor with a drop cloth before working on the ceiling. Scrape away any damaged ceiling texture around the repair area with a putty knife.
- Use a sander with sandpaper to sand the edges around the damaged area.
- Take the putty knife and apply a small amount of drywall compound on the area. Fill it with a smooth coat of this compound and then let it dry.
- Reuse the sander on the area until you have a smooth surface. If it was a stain due to water damage then apply stain sealer over the area and then let it dry. This can prevent bleed through problems in the future.
- Re-texture the area by using a spray texture repair kit. There are many kits available such as acoustic (popcorn effect), orange peel, splatter and knock-down that should match your ceiling texture. Follow the kit instructions and first practice to achieve the desired effect; then begin to work on the ceiling.
- Recreate a splotchy-style texture look by applying drywall compound on the area and then use texturing brushes to achieve a match to the surrounding ceiling texture. You can use this method if you are unable to use a kit for this particular texture style.
- Repaint the repaired area to match the rest of the ceiling. It might be necessary to repaint the entire ceiling to ensure a perfect match.
How to Fix a Textured Ceiling
When you repair cracks, stain damage and other ceiling problems on a textured ceiling, you need to match the ceiling texture as well. If you have the right tools, products and some artistic flair, it is fairly easy to fix a textured ceiling.
Things You Will Need
- How to Fix a Popcorn Ceiling With Water Damage
- How to Fix a Hole in a Leather Chair
- How to Texture Stomp & Drag
- How to Apply California Ceiling Texture
- How to Repair an Uneven Wall Texture
- Low Ceiling Solutions
- How to Fix Sagging Drywall Ceilings
- Can You Plaster Popcorn Ceilings?
- How to Repair a Dent in the Wall
- How to Fix Drywall Anchors
- Why Are Joists Visible Through a Smooth Ceiling?
- How to Repair Plaster Nail Holes
- How to Fix Minor Cracks in Drywall After Knockdown Texture Has Been Applied
- How to Get Rid of Ceiling Mold or Mildew