How to Build a Simple Water Fountain
To build a simple water fountain, choose a flower pot that is large enough to hold at least 2 or 3 gallons of water. Large pots are often used to decorate the patio area with small trees, bushes or flowers. They come in a variety of shapes, colors and styles. When you choose the pot, pick one that will sit on pot feet, as you will need some room for the cord to easily exit the bottom of the pot, which will then plug into an electrical outlet to run the fountain.
- Situate the pot in the area which you plan to set the fountain. The cord from the submersible pump, after placed in the pot, will need to be able to reach an electrical outlet. It will be easier to build the fountain at its final destination.
- Coat the inside of the flower pot with waterproof sealer, and allow to dry.
- Compare the end of the submersible pump cord with the drainage hole on the bottom of the pot, and see if the plug will fit through the hole. If the hole is too small, or there is no drainage hole, a hole must be drilled or enlarged. Use a drill bit suitable for drilling on pottery to avoid cracking.
- Place the submersible pump inside the pot, and run the end of the cord out of the hole.
- Raise the pump a few inches from the bottom of the pot, and secure the cord on the outside of the pot, using the tape. Later you will be adding pea gravel under the pump for it to sit on. For now, make enough room for the pea gravel. Secure the cord so it doesn't slip in or out of the pot, providing not enough or too much cord on the outside of the pot.
- Put the pot on the pot feet at the location you want the fountain to be. Make sure the cord will be able to reach the electrical outlet. Do not plug in yet.
- Fill the area around the hole to make it water tight. Use the silicone sealant. Allow to dry for 24 hours.
- Add 2 inches of water to the pot to make sure it is water tight. If there are leaks, you will need to remove the water, dry and repeat Step 7. If it is water tight, proceed to the next step.
- Pour some pea gravel onto the bottom of the pot, and set the pump on top of the pea gravel. There should be 3 or 4 inches of pea gravel, and the area should be level for the pump. Place the pump in the center of the pea gravel surface.
- Secure the 1/2-inch pipe or bubbling fountain nozzle to the outlet on the pump. The top of this nozzle should fall several inches below the lip of the pot.
- Fill the fountain with water. Plug the cord into an electrical outlet to turn the fountain on.
Things You Will Need
- Large cement or terra cotta pot
- Waterproof sealer
- Submersible pump
- Pot feet
- Clear silicone sealant
- Pea gravel
- 1/2-inch pipe or bubbling fountain nozzle
- Refer to the size chart in the home supply store when purchasing the submersible pump. You will first need to know which pot you will be using for your fountain, as you will need to get the appropriate size pump for the container. Home supply stores will have a sizing chart to help you choose the right sized submersible pump for the container you will be using.