- Find the chain that is located closest to the ceiling fan's blades. If the ceiling fan has a light kit, there will be two chains. The lower chain controls the lights; the top one controls the fan speed. If no light kit is on the fan, there will be only one chain that controls the fan.
- Pull the chain once until you feel or hear the switch click. This will start the blades turning and the fan will be on its fastest setting.
- Pull the chain a second time, and the fan will slow down. It is now on medium speed.
- Pull the chain a third time, and the fan will be on low speed, its slowest available speed.
- Pull the chain a fourth time to turn the ceiling fan off.
- So you can quickly identify which pull chain is for the fan, install a decorative dangle at the end of the chain.