- Choose the 50 gallon drum. It's better if this is a new one.There's really not much to say, because they all look pretty much the same, so choosing the correct one won't be a problem. As long as it is new, the track is free and fine for you.
- Using the blowtorch, make two large holes in the 50 gallon drum. These ones must be at the same height, and should be the same size (15 inches wide, 15 inches high).
- Weld the grill grid just below the two holes. Precision is needed in this particular step, because this grill grid will be the one holding to food from falling into the heat and getting burned. The space bellow the grill grid will be used for wood.
- Weld the two removed pieces of the 50 gallon drum to this one again. This doesn't make sense, but at the same time it really does. These removed parts will be used as doors, or gates, for the food. Just weld one part of the removed pieces; in other words just weld the top part.
- Using the blowtorch make a little oval hole in the 50 gallon drum. This hole will be used for the thermometer. The size has to match. You can choose the size of the thermometer you want, as long as it fits.
- Screw in the two wooden handles on the 50 gallon drum doors. This will prevent anyone from burning at the time of opening the little doors previously made.
Things You Will Need
- 50 Gallon Drum
- Grill Grid (One that fits the 50 gallon drum)
- 2 Wooden handles
- For this specific type of smoker, don't use too much wood, because of the medium space left for it. Just use what's necessary. The smoke will do the work.
- Paint the smoker black. This is the ideal one to use because it attracts heat from the sun when used outdoors.