- Clean the damaged seam with a flexible putty knife. Scrape off any flaking roof coating, dirt and corrosion. Brush off the loose debris with a whisk broom.
- Dampen a clean rag with water. Wipe the damaged seam with the damp rag to rinse away any remaining particles.
- Wipe the seam with a clean towel until thoroughly dry. Make sure the seam is completely clean.
- Cover the damaged section of the seam with a coat of aluminum-based roof coating using a paintbrush. Overlap both sides of the seam with the roof coating by a couple inches. Do not allow the roof coating time to harden.
- Lay an asphalt impregnated glass membrane fabric patch directly over the roof coating. Make sure the patch overlaps the separated seam by a couple inches on both sides.
- Apply a coat of aluminum-based roof coating directly over the patch using the paintbrush. Allow the roofing coating to dry according to the manufacturer's directions.
Things You Will Need
- Flexible putty knife
- Whisk broom
- Clean rag
- Clean towel
- Aluminum-based roof coating
- Asphalt impregnated, glass membrane fabric patch
- You can substitute urethane roofing cement for the aluminum-based roof coating. Apply the roof cement according to the manufacturer's directions.