How to Clean Luminette Privacy Sheers
A brand of polyester curtains, Luminette Privacy Sheers contain a dust-resistant coating and are anti-static. The sheers are available from a number of retail outlets, online and directly from Hunter Douglas, the manufacturer. But Luminette Privacy Sheers do need regular cleaning to keep them looking like new, especially if you live in an environment that contains an excessive amount of airborne dirt. When cleaning Luminette Privacy Sheers, you need to leave the curtains hanging to keep the material from wrinkling and puckering.
Close your Luminette Privacy Sheers by pulling the cables on the side of the sheers.
Dust the sheers thoroughly with a feather duster. Wear latex gloves to keep your hands clean and oil from your hands off of the sheers.
Open the sheers to expose the other side. Dust the other side of the sheers with the feather duster.
Removing Grime Buildup
Close your Luminette Privacy Sheers.
Start vacuuming, using a hand-held vacuum cleaner, in the upper left-hand corner of the sheers.
Move across the sheers using short strokes while you move the sheers with your hands. Continue vacuuming your sheers until you reach the bottom.
Open the sheers to expose the other side. Vacuum the other side of the sheers with short strokes across the sheers until you reach the bottom.
Hand-held vacuum cleaners won't pull or stretch your Luminette Privacy Sheers. Do not use a regular vacuum cleaner or one with a brush attachment. Regular vacuum cleaners contain too much suction and could damage the sheer fabric.
Apply 2 tbsp. of a laundry pre-treatment solution to a soft cloth or rag.
Hold the sheer panel containing a stain with another soft cloth or rag. Blot the stain with the pre-treatment solution-soaked cloth or rag. Do not rub the spot--this will push the stain into the sheer.
Let the area dry. Apply 3 tbsp. of distilled or bottled water to a clean cloth or rag. Blot the stain clean with the water-soaked cloth or rag. Let the sheer air dry.
- To remove wrinkles and creases, apply 1/2 cup of distilled or bottled water to a clean cloth or rag. Hold the sheer panel containing a wrinkle or crease with another soft cloth or rag. Blot the wrinkle or crease with the water-soaked cloth or rag. Let the sheer air dry.
- For professional cleaning of your Luminette Privacy Sheers, contact a cleaning service that uses an injection/extraction method of cleaning. This method injects a cleaning solution into stains on your sheers then extracts the solution.
- Do not use electrostatic cleaning sheets to clean your Luminette Privacy Sheers. These sheets will damage the sheer fabric.
- Do not dry clean your Luminette Privacy Sheers. Dry cleaning will damage the sheers.
Nick Davis is a freelance writer specializing in technical, travel and entertainment articles. He holds a bachelor's degree in journalism from the University of Memphis and an associate degree in computer information systems from the State Technical Institute at Memphis. His work has appeared in "Elite Memphis" and "The Daily Helmsman" in Memphis, Tenn. He is currently living in Albuquerque, N.M.
- Beautiful room for work in a modern apartment image by terex from Fotolia.com