- Turn off the water.
- Turn on the faucets in each bathroom to get rid of the water in the pipes. Turn off the faucets when water no longer comes out of the spout.
- Flush the toilet until you've removed all of the water from the tank and the bowl. This standing water can provide enough moisture to your home to supply food for excessive mold growth.
- Remove all of the food from the refrigerator and freezer and keep it plugged in. Turning refrigerators off will only thaw the refrigerator and create puddles of water that will attract mold.
- Prop open the dishwasher. This will allow it to air out properly and will keep residual moisture from attracting mold growth.
- Adjust your thermostat so that the heat or air conditioning will turn on periodically while you are gone. This ventilation will move the air throughout the home and may prevent mold from settling in certain areas.
- Close all of the windows but leave the interior doors open. Closing the windows will prevent moisture from the lakeside area from getting into the house. Opening the doors will encourage ventilation and air movement in the home.
How to Prevent Mold When Closing Up My Lake House
Mold is a type of fungus that tends to grow in areas that are moist and not properly ventilated. This makes homes near a lake prime targets for mold growth. This is especially true of homes that are shut up during a large portion of the year. The lack of ventilation creates a stable environment for mold growth. Closing up a home properly can help to prevent mold from growing in it. It is still necessary, however, to have a person come into the home every month or so to make sure all of the mold prevention tactics are working properly.
- Can You Overfeed Wild Birds?
- How to Determine the Size of a Refrigerator
- Installation Instructions for a Kenmore Ultra Wash II Dishwasher
- How to Unclog a Toilet Without Snaking
- Smell Coming From Central Air Vents
- Ideal Temperature for an Upright Freezer
- How to Run a Refrigerator Without a Defrost Timer
- Instructions for the Hamilton Beach Donut Maker 200
- How to Get Rid of Ants Looking for Water
- How Does Mold in the Walls of Your House Affect Your Health?
- Home Remedy to Get Rid of German Cockroaches
- How to Find the Cubic Square Feet of a House
- How to Clean a Refrigerator With Bleach
- How to Run a Chest Freezer on 12V