- Remove the lid from a coffee can. Poke numerous 1/4-inch holes in the lid and sides of the coffee can by stabbing them with an awl. Poke two holes, directly across from each other, 1/2 inch from the top of the can.
- Thread 50lb. test fishing line through the two holes at the top of the can. Pull 12 inches of line through the holes. Tie the line in a knot, leave the knot sit four inches above the rim of the can.
- Cover the bottom of the coffee can with raw liver. Push the plastic lid on the coffee can.
- Place the coffee can in the water and weigh it down with a rock. Allow the can to sit in the water for 24 hours.
- Pull the fishing line to remove the can from the water and discard the liver and leeches. Add additional liver, replace the lid and return the can to the water. Repeat the process until no leeches appear in the can after it has been sitting in the water for at least one week.
Things You Will Need
- Coffee can with plastic lid
- 50lb. test fishing line
- Raw liver
- Add bass or sunfish to a pond to control a pond's leech population.