Signs of Elevated Radon Levels
Radon gas exposure can have serious health consequences, including the potential to develop cancer. Radon gas is virtually undetectable without proper testing, as it has no smell or taste and is invisible. Radon is a naturally occurring gas, and occurs as a result of natural uranium breakdowns in soil and rocks. It then becomes expelled into the air. In high exposure cases, the effects of radon can be extremely severe and have been seen all over the United States. Unfortunately, the only signs of radon can be the symptoms and illnesses that you may develop as a result of exposure.
Exposure to radon happens through the lungs, when radon particles are inhaled along with dust particles or other particulate matter in the air a person breathes. As these radioactive particles continue to break down inside the lungs, they begin to burst, throwing out small masses of radioactive energy. These bursts damage lung tissue, and may not even be noticed until the signs of lung cancer become present.
Irradiation of Soft Tissues
Because of the radioactive nature of the particle bursts inside the lungs, soft tissues outside of the lungs can be affected by radon overexposure. The breakdown of soft tissues inside the body as a result of the overexposure to this harmful gas can also become prevalent in the form of liver or kidney failure over the course of time after the overexposure has been a constant for any extended period of time.
Although the EPA states that there haven't been many conclusive studies as to whether or not there are many minor or immediate side effects directly linked to radon overexposure, it is clear that the onsent of lung cancer is a direct result of overexposure to radon gas is the onset of lung cancer. The often deadly disease may not occur until many years after the overexposure, but it has been shown that the cancerous effects caused by the gas are much faster to develop in small children.