How to Clean Mold Off of the Ceiling

Debra L Turner

Removing unsightly mold on ceilings is important as it can cause health problems for some people. This is especially true of people with allergies and those whose health is already compromised in some way.

Ceilings constructed with any porous material cannot be cleaned and must be replaced, but smooth ceiling surfaces can be cleaned inexpensively and with relative ease. After cleaning, consider repainting the ceiling with anti-mold paint to prevent recurring issues.

  1. Confirm that the source of moisture promoting the mold growth is eliminated. Mold will return to a cleaned surface if moisture remains present.

  2. Put on your disposable gloves, face mask and eye protection. Position the stepladder under the moldy spot on the ceiling.

  3. Make a mold removal solution by combining 2 cups of warm water, 1/4 cup of vinegar and 2 tablespoons of borax. Stir the mixture well and place it in a spray bottle. Shake the mixture once it is in the bottle and periodically as you clean so any undissolved borax does not clog the sprayer.

  4. Spritz the cleaning mixture directly onto all of the visible mold. Use as little of the cleaning solution as necessary to avoid having excess fluid drip all over you.

  5. Use the rough side of the scouring sponge to scrub the moldy area. The mold should come off easily. Rinse the sponge in clean water as needed.

  6. Rinse the cleansed area of the ceiling very well with a clean washcloth and water. Allow the ceiling to dry completely.

  7. Warning

    Consult a professional for help if the molded area extends beyond a few square feet or if you believe toxic black mold is present. Never attempt to clean mold without wearing gloves, a dust mask and eye protection. If you are sensitive to mold spores, wear an N-95 respirator instead of an ordinary dust mask.