How to Keep From Getting Shocked By Static Electricity
Getting shocked by static electricity can be downright painful, especially when you are not expecting it. Static shock is more prevalent in wintertime because of dry air and the fact that cooler objects do not dissipate their electrical charge into the environment as easily.
People often experience static electricity when exiting a car — since dry, cold tires do not dissipate the electrical charge that builds up as the car travels down the road creating friction with the surrounding air. It can also build up by walking over a synthetic carpet or from wearing a certain type of jacket.
Prevent static shock when you exit a vehicle by opening your door and then using an umbrella. Touch the door jamb near your feet and the pavement with the umbrella. The static charge from you and your car will travel harmlessly down the umbrella to the ground.
Touch door knobs with the palm of your hand. Although you still may experience a slight static shock, it will not hurt as much as a shock to the delicate tip of a finger. If you carry a purse, touch the purse to the door knob before touching the knob with your hand. The static charge may be decreased by traveling through your purse instead of your fingers.
Avoid coats made of wool and polyester. Cotton is less likely to cause a static charge to build up on you.
This article was written by a professional writer, copy edited and fact checked through a multi-point auditing system, in efforts to ensure our readers only receive the best information. To submit your questions or ideas, or to simply learn more, see our about us page: link below.
- How to Change the Heating Element in a Kenmore Dryer
- How to Get Hairspray Off Suede
- How to Troubleshoot Fisher & Paykel Dryer Issues With a Lint Screen
- How to Troubleshoot a Maytag Neptune Stackable Washer and Dryer
- How to Tell When a Lithium Battery Pack Is Going Bad?
- Baldwin 5225 Lockset Disassembly Instructions