How to Reduce the Glare of Fluorescent Lighting
Fluorescent light bulbs come in a variety of shapes, sizes and wattages. They can offer energy-efficient lighting for a variety of settings ranging from home to office and warehouse.
Things You Will Need
- Special glare reduction light bulbs
- Light covers
Despite the benefits of these types of light bulbs, some users experience glare when working under fluorescent lights. There are a few ways to reduce the amount of glare that comes off of these light bulbs.
Attempt to reposition the light itself. You may try moving the lamp to another area of the room or another spot on the desk. For overhead lights, try to adjust where you are sitting to see if the glare is reduced.
Purchase specially marked bulbs that have glare reduction coatings on them. For example, General Electric makes some compact fluorescent bulbs that are marked as "glare reducing energy efficient" bulbs. Replace older bulbs with these types of bulbs.
Purchase and install lamp covers for fluorescent bulbs. Firefly Alternative Energy Group produces a line of lamp covers known as Lunet Light covers that are specially designed to fit over the compact fluorescent bulbs (CFLs) found in table top and desk lamps.
You can also visit a hardware or lighting store and purchase regular and decorative overhead light fixture covers that change the brightness and reduce the glare of the lights. In the Resources section of this article, some examples are provided. r
If possible, turn off some of the lights not in use to attempt to reduce glare.
- If possible, turn off some of the lights not in use to attempt to reduce glare.
Maxwell Payne has been a freelance writer since 2007. His work has appeared in various print and online publications. He holds a Bachelor of Science in integrated science, business and technology.
- Difference Between a Chandelier & Pendant
- How to Switch From a Magnetic Ballast to an Electronic Ballast
- How to Adjust the Timer on a Light Sensor
- How to Replace an HPS Light With a CFL Light
- How to Report the Lights Out on a Radio Station Tower
- How to Install Multiple Light Bulbs in a Single Electrical Socket