Things You Will Need
- Oxygen bleach solution
- Hand pump sprayer
- Synthetic bristle brush
- Wood sealer
Wood sealers are important for ensuring long-lasting care of wood decking or furniture. Wood sealer will seal the stain you have applied to your wood.
Sealing wood is not difficult; it takes about as long as staining and provides added protection against the elements. Because of these protective properties, sealing your wood is especially important for wood that stays outside.
- Clean your wood furniture or deck using an oxygen bleach solution. If it is dirty and weathered, this step is especially important. Prepare the solution by mixing 6 oz. of bleach per gallon of water. Apply the solution to the wood with a hand pump sprayer. Let the solution set for 10 to 15 minutes. Use a rag to scrub the wood lightly. Rinse off the oxygen bleach solution.
- Choose a sealer designed for your type of wood. For example, some wood sealers are made especially for redwood and cedar. If the wood will be placed outside, use a sealer specifically designed to protect against weather.
- Use a clean, synthetic bristle brush to apply the sealer. Work on wood that is completely dry. Use a thin coat and work in long brush strokes against the wood grain.
- Allow the sealer to dry completely.
- Apply a second coat if needed.