How to Change the Oil in a Craftsman DYT 4000 Lawnmower
The Craftsman DYT 4000 riding lawnmower is a reliable mower for homeowners with larger yards to cut. As with any other lawn equipment, changing the oil on a regular basis keeps the engine properly lubricated and helps to extend the life of the mower.
Craftsman recommends changing the oil every 50 hours of use or at least once a year if you operate it less than 50 hours. Changing the oil in a Craftsman DYT 4000 lawnmower is a bit more convenient than most riding mowers. This is due to a drain tube that stores against the engine until you need to drain the oil.
Things You Will Need
- Oil catch can
- 2-qt. SAE-30 motor oil
Park your Craftsman DYT 4000 riding lawnmower on level ground. Turn off the engine and pull the key out of the ignition. Raise the hood of the lawnmower.
Clean the area around the oil fill cap/dipstick with a rag. This removes grime and loose dirt debris before removing the cap. Turn the oil fill cap/dipstick counter-clockwise and pull it off the engine. Wipe the dipstick clean with a rag and wrap the rag around the dipstick to prevent dirt from sticking onto it.
Unhook the oil drain tube from the clasp on the blower housing. Rotate the drain tube until it locks into position, pointing away from the engine. The oil drain tube is on the lower right side of the engine and has a yellow cap on the end resembling a wire nut.
Place an oil catch container under the end of the drain tube. Twist the drain tube cap counter-clockwise and remove it from the tube. Allow the oil to drain into the catch container. Once the oil completely drains, twist the cap onto the end clockwise. Wipe away any excess oil and rotate the drain tube back into the clasp on the blower housing.
Pour 2 qts. of SAE-30 motor oil into the oil fill hole in the top of the engine. Insert the oil fill cap/dipstick and pull it back out to check the oil level. Check the oil level and add as necessary.
Craftsman recommends changing the oil filter every other oil change, if your DYT 4000 uses an oil filter. The oil filter is under the right rear of the engine and removes with a filter wrench. Use 5W-30 motor oil if operating the Craftsman DYT 4000 lawnmower in temperatures below 32 degrees Fahrenheit.
Contact an auto parts store for location of oil disposal facilities.
The Drip Cap
- The Craftsman DYT 4000 riding lawnmower is a reliable mower for homeowners with larger yards to cut.
- As with any other lawn equipment, changing the oil on a regular basis keeps the engine properly lubricated and helps to extend the life of the mower.
- Raise the hood of the lawnmower.
- Clean the area around the oil fill cap/dipstick with a rag.
- Turn the oil fill cap/dipstick counter-clockwise and pull it off the engine.
Kenneth Crawford is a freelance writer with more than 10 years of experience. His work has appeared in both print and online publications, including "The American Chronicle." Crawford holds an associate degree in business administration from Commonwealth College.
- Comstock/Comstock/Getty Images
- Comstock/Comstock/Getty Images
- How to Change the Oil on an 8 HP Briggs & Stratton Generator
- How to Put Transmission Fluid in a Rear Tine Tiller
- How to Start a Portable Generator
- How do I Fix an Oil Seal on a Briggs & Stratton Engine?
- How to Change the Oil in a John Deere Gator TX Utility Vehicle
- How to Replace a Belt on a Lawn Boy Self-Propelled Mower