Cut two pieces of 28-by-28-inch mesh fabric with fabric scissors, and place the fabric flat on your work surface. Cut a 3-by-3-inch square out of all four corners of the mesh using the fabric scissors.
Place a 2-by-22-inch PVC pipe on one of the edges of one of the pieces of fabric. Pull the fabric over the pipe until the end of the fabric extends 1 inch beyond the pipe. Use straight pins to secure the fabric to itself. Remove the pipe. Sew along the straight pins using a straight stitch with your sewing machine to create a pocket.
Repeat Step 2 with the rest of the edges of fabric on both pieces of mesh to create eight separate pockets, four on each piece.
Insert a 2-by-22-inch pipe into seven of the pockets you created in Steps 2 and 3. Leave the eighth pocket empty.
Place the fabric with three pipes in front of you with the empty pocket closest to you. Insert the end of the pipe furthest from you into a 90-degree angle corner joint. Insert the ends of the two pipes on the side of the mesh fabric into the open ends of the 90-degree angle corner joints to secure them together. Place a four-way PVC pipe fitting onto the other ends of the pipe to create the back of the chair.
Place the second piece of mesh with four pipes in front of you. Insert the ends of the pipe furthest from you and the two pipes on the side of the fabric into the open ends of the four-way pipe fittings from Step 5. Position the second piece of mesh so the back from Step 5 is at a 90-degree angle to the second piece, which becomes the chair’s seat. Place a three-way PVC pipe fitting on the ends of the pipes closest to you to finish the square.
Insert a 2-by-22-inch pipe into the open ends of the three-way PVC pipe fittings to create the legs of the chair.
Things You Will Need
- Mesh fabric
- Fabric scissors
- 11 2-by-22-inch PVC pipes
- 2 90-degree angle corner joint
- 2 four-way PVC pipe fittings
- 2 three-way PVC pipe fittings
- You can cut PVC pipes to length with a PVC cutter or ask the hardware store to cut them for you when you make the purchase.
- PVC glue can be added to the ends of the pipes before inserting them into the pipe fittings for a more secure construction.
- In the event that the pipes do not easily slide into the pipe fittings, use a rubber mallet to hammer them in place.