- Locate the source of the mold spores. Search the home for target areas such as showers, bathtubs, windows with moisture, basements, wall paneling, and soiled carpets. Other likely locations are underneath sinks and near washers, where there is possible water drainage and retention.
- Remove mold by using bleach on shower tiles and grout. A solution of one part bleach to one part water is effective and not too overpowering to breathe. Use a spray bottle to drench the infected area with a coating of the solution. Let the mixture set on the area for 30 minutes, then remove with a scrub brush. Remember to wear gloves and safety goggles whenever working with corrosive materials like bleach.
- Keep airflow in the house steady and unrestricted. Use fans in the bathrooms and kitchens to ventilate the area from moisture. Keep windows cracked approximately two inches, if the weather permits.
- Limit the humidity in the house with a dehumidifier.
- Allow sunlight to enter every room of the house. Mold spores prefer low light areas.
- Wash all carpets and drapes to remove spores that have clung to the fabric.
How to Rid a House of Mold Spores
Mold can cause damage to a house and its inhabitants. It is important to take action early so that you and your family are safe and free from the numerous health problems and diseases that are spread by mold. If not treated properly, your loved ones may be in danger of sickness and even death. Removing mold spores is preventive maintenance to eliminate what would eventually become a full-blooming mold colony.
Things You Will Need
- Always wear protective gear when working with chemicals and around mold. You can breathe in harmful fumes and spores when the removal process is under way.
- How to Clean Dusty Mold in a Damp Basement
- How to Clean Up Mold on the Bathroom Ceiling Caused by a Skylight Leak
- How to Kill Household Gray Mold
- How to Get Rid of Ceiling Mold or Mildew
- How to Clean Up Moldy Carpet & the Floorboards Underneath
- How to Remove Mold From Air Ducts
- How to Clean Green Mold From Patio Furniture
- Recommended Settings for Basement Dehumidifiers
- How to Clean Mold off of Grout
- Cleaning Solution for Mold & Mildew
- How to Remove Mildew From House Paint
- Do it Yourself Home Mold Test
- How to Remove Cat Pee
- How to Kill Mold in Fabric