Things You Will Need
- Rubber gloves
- N-95 respirator
- Safety goggles without vent holes
- Liquid dish soap
- Chlorine or oxygen bleach
- Spray bottle
Mold is not confined to only basements and bathrooms; it can lurk in and on your wood cabinets in various areas of your home. If you allow the mold to continue to grow on your wood cabinets, it can deteriorate the cabinets beyond repair.
At the very least, the mold will leave unsightly stains on the cabinets. Once you discover mold on your wood cabinets, remove it as soon as possible to prevent the fungus from spreading to other areas.
- Open doors and windows in the area to provide better air ventilation and circulation during the mold removal process.
- Wear a pair of rubber gloves, N-95 respirator and safety goggles without vent holes. These items are a safety precaution that will keep the mold spores from coming in contact with your skin and eyes and prevent you from breathing them in.
- Fill a bucket with 2 cups of warm water and 2 to 3 drops of liquid dish soap. Mix the contents together with a spoon. Dampen a cloth in the mixture and wipe the surface mold off the wood cabinets. Dump the contents of the bucket down the drain and rinse the bucket clean.
- Fill the clean bucket with 1 gallon of warm water and 1 1/2 cups of chlorine bleach. Mix the contents thoroughly with a spoon. Alternatively, use 1 cup of oxygen bleach to replace the chlorine bleach. Oxygen bleach is a safer alternative to chlorine bleach that will remove mold and mildew without harming wood finishes.
- Fill a spray bottle with the mixture. Mist the wood cabinets with the mixture and let it sit for several seconds. Wipe the mixture off the wood cabinets with a clean cloth. Repeat the process until you have removed all traces of the mold.
- Wipe the wood cabinets clean with a clean cloth dampened in warm, soapy water. Wipe the cabinets dry with a towel.
Do not oversaturate the wood cabinets with the mold removal solution or water. Excess moisture will cause the wood to warp.