Mix a solution of 1/4 cup dishwashing soap or all-purpose cleaner and 1/2 gallon warm water in a bucket. Scrub the mold using a scrub brush and the soap mixture until no more mold is visibly present.
Mix 1/2 cup to 1 cup of chlorine bleach (depending on the severity of the mold) with a gallon of warm water. Apply the bleach mixture to the affected area and allow it to sit for 15 minutes. This kills any remaining mold and disinfects the surface. Rinse the area with clean water.
Dry the area immediately with clean towels. Run a fan and open windows to hasten drying.
Things You Will Need
- Scrub brush
- Non-ammonia cleaner (dishwashing liquid or all-purpose cleaner)
- Chlorine bleach
- Protect your health by wearing rubber gloves, pants, a long-sleeved shirt, eyewear and a mask.
- Mold can't be removed from wood by scrubbing. Sand surfaces such as two-by-fours to remove mold.
- Replace moldy carpets and sheetrock.
- Identify and fix the cause of the mold. For high humidity, run a dehumidifier. Install fans or drains to correct damp conditions. Seal and paint cement surfaces to prevent mold growth.