- Purchase recessed light covers that match the dimensions of the housing openings on light fixtures being installed. The most common dimensions of housing openings are: 3 inches, 4 inches, 5 inches and 6 inches.
- Hold the light cover up against the recessed light fixture so that the inside rim of the cover is aligned with the rim of the fixture.
- Use needle-nose pliers to stretch the spring hooks so that they can be inserted into the support holes on the inside of the fixture's housing. Before hooking the springs, turn the cover so the hooks are lined up with the support holes.
- Move the recessed light cover as needed, so that it will cover up any areas of cut drywall. Even though the covers are installed, they can be moved slightly to ensure a perfect look.
Things You Will Need
- Recessed light covers
- Needle-nose pliers
- If you can purchase a recessed light cover that's made by the same manufacturer as your recessed light fixture, you will have an easier installation.