- Wearing rubber gloves and safety goggles, insert the applicator in the nozzle of the foam insulation. Insert the applicator tip into the crack around the window frame where the metal frame meets the wood on the inside of the home. Press the nozzle to spray the insulation into the crack, starting at one corner and working across or down while moving the can. Fill the crack about one-half full of insulation.
- Repeat this process on all sides of the window frame.
- Let the foam insulation dry for about 10 minutes. Place a metal putty knife at a 45-degree angle to the exterior surface. Push the knife forward and back to cut off any excess insulation so it is flush with the window surface.
- Insulate the exterior of the window in the same manner.
Things You Will Need
- Rubber gloves
- Safety goggles
- Foam insulation
- Metal putty knife
- Foam insulation doubles in size as it dries. Filling the cracks between the window and frame halfway allows the foam to expand and insulate the entire area.