How to Get Mustard Out of Denim
The natural turmeric found in mustard contains a yellow dye that causes staining. When you notice a mustard stain on your denim jeans or jacket, do not toss the clothing away. Mustard can be difficult to remove from denim if you do not treat it immediately, but you can salvage the clothing with the proper stain removal techniques.
- Blot the fresh mustard stain with paper towels. If the mustard has dried, scrape it off with a butter knife.
- Apply glycerin to the stain with your fingers. Rub it over the entire mustard stain and allow it to sit on the stain for up to one hour. Blot the stain with paper towels to remove the glycerin and to lift the stain.
- Rinse the mustard stain under cool water to remove the mustard from the surface.
- Launder the denim in the washing machine with hot water and follow the instructions according to the care label. Apply color-safe bleach to the washing machine.
- Hang the denim to dry; the heat from your dryer can make the stain permanent. If you still notice the mustard stain, apply a commercial stain pretreatment that is color-safe according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Things You Will Need
- Paper towels
- Butter knife
- Color-safe bleach
- Stain pretreatment spray
- Do not use chlorine bleach on denim; it will change the color of the material.