- Cut each 12-foot lumber into four lengths that measure 33 inches each. To construct a leg for the raised garden bed, position two identical lengths to form a large L, ensuring the narrow edge of one lumber rests against the other's wider edge. Drive four 3-inch nails through the intersection to secure both pieces together. Do the same with the other lengths until you make a total of four legs.
- Cut one of the 6-foot lengths into two 35-inch pieces that serve as the end pieces of the planter box. Also cut the second identical 6-foot lumber into two 35-inch lengths to form the sides.
- Position a side piece between two legs, and join it using three screws per corner. Join the second side piece to the other two pairs of legs the same way.
- Secure the two side pieces to form the outline of a lidless and baseless box. Join each corner of one of the side pieces to two legs using three screws on each side. Also join the other side piece to the corners of the second pair of legs so the raised bed looks like a rectangular outline on four legs.
- Turn the structure over so the rectangular outline rests on the ground and the four legs point up. Saw off the two 6-foot long 1-by-12 boards to lay them from one end of the box to the other, thus forming a base. Saw off excess length so the edges of these boards do not protrude over the rectangular outline. Leave a small gap between parallel boards as you lay them in order to provide an outlet for excess water. Join the boards using three screws per side.
- Cut the 3-foot 2-by-4 lumber to fit over the base, between the four legs, and hold the base boards securely in place. Join the ends of this board to the legs with 3-inch lag screws and washers.
Things You Will Need
- Three 12-foot 2-by-4 lumber
- 20 3-inch nails
- Four 6-foot-long 1-by-12 lumber
- Hand drill
- 40 2-inch screws
- 3-foot 2-by-4 lumber
- 4 lag screws with washers
- Lay a clear plastic sheet in the box before filling it with quality soil. Also slit through the plastic with a pointed knife to assist in drainage.