Make Bench Frame
- Choose a good hardwood such as oak, maple or cherry. Determine the size you want the finished bench to be. It should be wide enough for someone to sit on comfortably. A good size for the bench is 3 feet long by 18 inches wide by 18 inches high.
- Create the basic frame. Measure and cut two boards the same length of 36 inches for the front and back. Measure and cut two shorter boards, 18 inches for the ends. Fit the pieces together to make sure they are straight. Using a screwdriver and wood screws, fasten the boards together at each corner. Use two screws in each corner. For added strength, use wood glue at each joint.
- Measure the area outside the frame for the top of the lid. Add 1/2 inch to the measurement for over hang on the front and the two sides of the lid. Cut the wood to length. Set aside.
- Measure the inside the sides and ends of the frame for the bottom piece of wood. Cut the wood to measurements. Attach the piece to the frame with wood screws all around the frame. This forms the box or the storage area.
- Attach the legs to the bottom of the frame in each corner using long screws.
- Paint or stain the frame and legs before attaching the bench cushion. Let it dry.
Make the Cushion
- Apply spray adhesive to the top board or lid of the bench. Firmly press the polyurethane padding to the board, aligning the padding edges to edge of the board. Let the glue dry.
- Cut the fabric to the size of the top, allowing for enough to cover the sides and for 3 inches inside the lid board edge.
- Lay the fabric face down on the floor or a table. Put the batting on top of the fabric. Spray the top of the polyurethane padding with adhesive. Keeping the board face up, place the padding and the board on top of the batting and fabric layer.
- Beginning in the center of one side, pull the fabric tight over the padding, stapling it to the underside of the wood board. Continue stapling all around, about an inch apart. Fold the fabric in at the corners, like wrapping a present. Staple the corners securely. For a finished look, the staples and fabric can be covered with a thin strip of wood or fabric trim glued on.
- Using a screwdriver, attach the hinges with the included screws to underside of the lid. Screw the other side of the hinges to the bench. Follow the directions included with the hinges if you are not sure how to attach them.
Things You Will Need
- 2-by-4-inchwood boards
- Measuring tape
- Wood glue
- Wood screws
- 4 decorative legs, 14 inches long
- Stain or paint
- Polyurethane foam padding
- Spray adhesive
- Staple gun
- Casters or wheels can be added to the legs to make the bench easier to move around.