How to Install an Electric Stove Outlet
Electric stove outlets differ from standard wall outlets in two different ways. The voltage is higher -- 220 volts for the stove, versus 110 volts for a standard outlet -- and the shape of the outlet and corresponding plug for the stove are quite different from standard outlets and plugs. You'll install an electric stove outlet during the roughing-in segment of your building and remodeling job. This allows the installation of the gang box into which the outlet is mounted without the need to cut into the wall.
- Position the gang box on a wall stud where you want to locate the stove outlet. The lip on the open edge of the box should extend beyond the stud for a distance equivalent to the thickness of the wall board you'll be installing. For example, if the wall board is 1/2 inch thick, the edge should extend 1/2 inch in front of the stud. Nail the gang box to the side of the stud with the included nails and a hammer.
- Pry open the tab at the top or bottom of the gang box using a screwdriver -- whichever tab is closer to the electric cable coming from your circuit breaker panel.
- Make sure the breaker that is feeding the cable coming to the gang box is turned off at the circuit breaker box. Feed the end of the cable into the gang box through the hole you created in the previous step, and pull about 4 inches of cable through the front of the box.
- Remove 2 inches of the cable's outer jacket with a set of wire cutters, then remove 1/2 inch of insulation from the ends of each of the wires -- black, red and white -- inside the cable.
- Loosen the screw terminals on the rear of the outlet with a screwdriver. Insert the bare end of the white wire into the terminal marked "-" and tighten the screw to hold the wire. Insert the bare end of the red wire into either of the terminals marked "+" and tighten the screw to hold the wire. Insert the bare end of the black wire into the other terminal marked "+" and tighten the screw to hold the wire.
- Push the outlet into the gang box and attach it to the screw points of the box using the screws that were included with the outlet.