Determine the Type of Mold
Toxic mold can lead to severe respiratory and nervous system conditions. Those who suffer from mold poisoning find their immune systems compromised with more frequent illnesses. Determining if the mold in your home is toxic or not requires testing. Easy to use kits can be bought to test your home's mold and sent off for inspection like the one found at Inspect-NY.com.
Stop Water Contamination
Determine where the excess water is coming from. If you live in an area of high humidity, purchase a dehumidifier to reduce mold growth. Make sure the roof is free of leaks. Check plumbing for other leaks and seepage. Water stains (coffee colored marks) on the ceiling and walls suggest that water has penetrated the barriers within the walls and is the first place to look for leaks and problems.
Contain the area that black mold has been found. Use an exhaust fan to the outside of the house and wear a ventilator while removing the mold. Keep dust to a minimum as spores are released and spread quickly. Mist the area with water if dry and use a disinfectant to kill the spores and any area in the room even if you don't see mold. Allow the area to dry then remove the mold placing it in bags. Porous materials should be discarded even if cleaned (ceiling tiles, wood, dry wall) while non-porous materials can be cleaned and re-used. Seal the bags and try to remove them without exposing them to other areas of the home and take them directly to landfill areas.