How to Rent Scaffolding. Whether you have been contracted to work on a 12-story office building, or just need roof repair on your own home, scaffolding can help you get the job done, by giving you a steady platform and ample workspace.
The most important thing about renting scaffolding is choosing the correct style in to maintain the safety of the crew and get the job done right. Read on to learn how to rent scaffolding.
- Determine whether or not you will need fixed, mobile or hanging scaffolding. Fixed scaffolding is either independent, meaning it does not need support from the building, or putlog, which uses the building to secure the working platform. Mobile scaffolding is an independent and freestanding structure mounted on wheels, to allow for easy moving. Hanging scaffolding has a suspended platform that can be raised and lowered and is most often used for washing windows.
- Estimate a budget for scaffolding rental, but make sure that you put safety before economy. Many companies that rent scaffolding have websites with estimator tools that allow you to input project plans in order to determine pricing. Even if you choose to rent locally, these estimator tools can help you choose the correct style for the job.
- Compare prices on scaffolding rentals. Though researching scaffolding rentals online is helpful in determining a budget, it is usually best to rent locally to avoid expensive shipping costs. A comprehensive search of your local telephone directory will offer a world of rental services. Large rental services can offer expert advice, replacement parts, easy delivery and you can inspect the scaffolding before renting.
- Rent special scaffold planks, even though you may be tempted to save money, by using your own. Scaffold planks are specially built for scaffolding and offer the safest fit.
- Add toeboards to your rental order, if people will be walking underneath your scaffolding. Toeboards can help prevent tools from falling off the platform, protecting the safety of pedestrians and workers below.
Most local rental services will deliver and pick-up the scaffolding for a small fee. If you opt not to have the scaffolding delivered, you will need to provide your own transport. Always follow the manufacturer's directions carefully when assembling scaffolding.