How to Install Staircase Skirt Board. Installing a skirt board on a staircase requires some time and preparation to do properly.
You want top make sure your cuts are square, and that the skirt board fits properly and without gaps.
- Install the risers of the stairs, making sure that the risers are plumb when you do so.
- Place the skirt board over the riser's top, making sure you follow the rake of the staircase. Tack the skirt board in place so it won't move as you install a staircase skirt board.
- Set a level against the riser's face, and run a pencil along the level, marking the riser's front and the skirt board as well.
- Use a framing square to make a line that's 90 degrees from the riser's top. Repeat the process with all of the risers as you install a skirt board on a staircase.
- Remove the skirt board, and cut along all of the pencil lines you have made to create the rise and run.
- Slip your skirt board into place and check the fit. Make any adjustments as needed as you install a skirt board on a staircase.
- Secure the skirt board in place, then cut the treads of the stairs so that they will fit in between the skirt boards. You may wish to allow a few extra inches on the treads as you cut them, to counter any shrinkage that might occur.