Things You Will Need
- Flush mount light fixture
- Phillips screwdriver
- Tape measure or ruler
- Wire nuts
- Incandescent or compact fluorescent light bulbs
Flush mount light fixtures are a potentially inexpensive way to redecorate a room. You may decide on plain and basic or decorative and fancy.
Look at your favorite home improvement stores or on the Internet to find the fixture of your dreams. You'll discover there are thousands of designs to consider.
This article will explain how to install a flush mount lighting fixture.
- Turn power off to the circuit you will be working on. Never work on an electrical project with the power on.
- Disassemble and remove the old fixture, if present. If there is no fixture present, pull the wiring out of the electrical box and straighten the wires. Strip 5/8 inch of insulation from the ends of the wires.
- Put the fixture on a flat surface. Measure the height of the dome of the fixture. Let's say this measurement is 6 inches. Adjust the threaded tube in the mounting strap to a length of 6 1/8 inches. The dome is held up by the threaded tube and must reach through the fixture and the dome to hold the dome in place.
- Remove the screws from the electrical box in the ceiling. Attach the mounting strap and threaded tube. Attach the ground wire to the green screw on the mounting strap.
- Hold the fixture up to the electrical box. Wrap the black wire to the black wire and the white wire to the white wire. Wire nut these wires together.
- Place the retaining washer over the threaded tube and thread the retaining nut over the tube until the fixture is snug against the ceiling. Some fixtures use screws that attach to the electrical box.
- Install light bulbs and place the dome over the fixture. Tighten the decorative retaining nut over the threaded tube.
- Turn the power to the circuit back on and test the fixture's functionality.
Always turn the power off to the circuit you are working on.