The Best Way to Kill a Mouse
Rodents are present in most areas of the world and can carry harmful diseases such as the hantavirus and salmonella. According to the Center for Disease Control, the hantavirus is transmitted from rodents to humans and can cause rapid deterioration of the pulmonary system which results in death.
Rodents are present in most areas of the world and can carry harmful diseases such as the hantavirus and salmonella. According to the Center for Disease Control, the hantavirus is transmitted from rodents to humans and can cause rapid deterioration of the pulmonary system which results in death. If rodents are invading your home, it is important that you rid yourself of these pests as quickly as possible. Here are a few methods of making your home mouse free.
Traditional mouse traps work by placing bait on a small trigger that is attached to a spring. When the mouse steps on the trigger, a metal bar attached to the spring slams down on the mouse’s head or neck severing the spinal cord and resulting in instant death. The trap can then be disposed of or re-used after a good cleaning. Be certain to use a household disinfectant or a bleach solution to clean any areas the mouse may have come in contact with to inhibit the spread of any virus that it may have been carrying.
Laying out poison as bait can be an effective way of getting rid of a mouse problem. Poisons are not as fast acting as a traditional mouse trap and according to Doyourownpestcontrol.com poisons can take up to 2 to 3 weeks to rid a home of mice depending on the size of the infestation. Poisons work by building up toxic chemicals in the mouse’s body, eventually causing death. Exercise caution if using poisons in a home with children or pets. Place the traps in an area that is inaccessible to children and pets, using special caution if you have a cat that likes to catch mice, as eating a poisoned mouse may poison your cat.
Glue boards are a safe alternative to using poisons. A glue board is basically a sheet of cardboard or plastic that is covered with glue on one side. The board should be placed along a pathway that mice travel to and from getting food. These areas are usually easy to spot as there will be a trail of droppings. When the mouse walks onto the board, its feet will become stuck and it will be unable to move. The trap can then be disposed of. Depending on how often the traps are checked, the mouse may not yet be dead. If the decision is made to spare the mouse, the glue can be counteracted with any household dish soap and the mouse can be released back into the wild.