×

How to Clean Mold Off of Caulk in My Shower

Mold and mildew grow in damp places that are not well ventilated and where the sun does not shine. This combination makes the bathroom an ideal growing place. Given the chance to grow, mold can actually eat away at the caulk, and the caulk will need to be replaced.

Mold and mildew grow in damp places that are not well ventilated and where the sun does not shine. This combination makes the bathroom an ideal growing place. Given the chance to grow, mold can actually eat away at the caulk, and the caulk will need to be replaced. Cleaning the bathroom frequently will keep you a step ahead of mold that is trying to grow. Letting air into the shower area after using the shower will also allow air to circulate. White vinegar kills mold and germs, so keep plenty on hand for cleaning.

  1. Fill a spray bottle with undiluted white vinegar.

  2. Spray all infected caulk with the white vinegar, and let it set for a minimum of two hours. White vinegar is inexpensive so you can afford to be generous while soaking.

  3. Spray a second time with white vinegar to dampen the caulk before cleaning.

  4. Moisten a scrub brush with hot water and an ample amount of baking soda. Use gloves to protect your hands from the hot water.

  5. Scrub the caulk with the brush and baking soda. Scrubbing hard is important to clean off the mold.

  6. Rinse the area with water and examine for any signs of mold.

  7. Repeat the process if necessary until the mold is removed.

  8. Tip

    Mold and mildew that has been left on caulking too long will penetrate deeply into the caulk and the caulk will have to be removed. The mold eats into the caulk and breaks it down. You will need a mask, gloves, vinegar and a flathead screwdriver to remove the bad caulk. Spray the caulk with vinegar, and chip it loose with the screwdriver. Gather the old caulk, and place it in a garbage bag. Let the tub dry completely and apply fresh caulking.

    Warning

    Wear a face mask to prevent inhaling mold spores. Mold spores can cause an allergic reaction in some people.

Warning

  • Wear a face mask to prevent inhaling mold spores. Mold spores can cause an allergic reaction in some people.
Continue Reading