Things You Will Need
- Stone cleaner
- Lint free cloths
- Plastic wrap
- Impregnating sealer
- Foam paint brush
A marble-topped table can be a great way of adding some elegance and natural beauty to your home. Marble's variation and high shine can help to enhance any decor.
Marble is a natural stone and will require special care if you do choose to use a marble table. The wrong type of cleaner, lack of sealant or even just a coffee cup used without a coaster could discolor your marble.
You will be able to lessen the appearance of these stains dramatically by using stone-care products.
- Clean the marble top well with a stone cleaner. Stone cleaners are available in spray bottles for ease of use. Spray the cleaner onto the table and buff with a lint-free cloth. This will remove any surface stains from the marble.
- Apply a poultice to the marble top. Poultice is a paste used to draw out stains and discolorations from within the stone. It can be purchased at most stone yards and is available both ready mixed and as a powder you mix with water.
- Spread the poultice over the discolored areas of the marble top and cover the poultice with a piece of plastic wrap to seal it in. Allow it to sit for one hour.
- Rinse the poultice off the table with water and then clean the top again with a stone cleaner, buffing the top dry with a lint-free cloth.
- Seal the marble top against further staining by painting it with an impregnating sealer using a foam paintbrush. Allow the sealer to penetrate for one hour and then wipe up the excess with a lint-free cloth.